Creating and Managing Marketing Lists
In Microsoft Dynamics CRM, marketing lists are groups of accounts, contacts, or leads filtered by criteria that you specify. You can associate marketing lists with campaigns, create quick campaigns for the records in a marketing list, and export the members in the marketing list to Microsoft Office Excel.
Depending upon your requirements, you can create two types of marketing lists: static and dynamic.
The members in a static marketing list are unchanging. A dynamic marketing list is based on a dynamic query that retrieves the updated list of members each time you open the dynamic marketing list, create a quick campaign from this marketing list, or distribute a campaign activity for a campaign associated with this marketing list.
Marketing lists can contain only one type of record, such as accounts, contacts, or leads.
Adding members to marketing lists
There are several ways that you can add members to a static marketing list:
- Look up. Add members individually or as a group by using the Lookup feature.
- Advanced Find. Add members that match an Advanced Find query.
- Import. Add members when you import accounts, contacts, or leads from an external file.
For a dynamic marketing list, you can specify a query that automatically populates the updated list of members each time you open the marketing list. This query is also used to fetch the latest members when you create a quick campaign for a dynamic marketing list or when you distribute a campaign activity for a campaign that has a dynamic marketing list associated with it.
Qualifying members in a marketing list
After you create a static marketing list and add members to it, you can further qualify list members and remove members that do not match specific criteria:
- Remove members that match an Advanced Find query.
- Remove members that do not match an Advanced Find query.
For a dynamic marketing list, you edit the query criteria to obtain a list of the desired members.
Managing marketing lists
In addition to adding marketing lists to campaigns and managing the members of a marketing list, you can also manage the lists themselves:
- Delete marketing lists you no longer need. Deleting a marketing list does not remove the accounts, contacts, or leads that were in that list.
- Merge marketing lists. By copying members of one marketing list to another list, you can merge the two lists.
You can copy members only to a static marketing list.
You can copy members from a dynamic marketing list and add to a static marketing list, but you cannot add members from any type of marketing list to a dynamic marketing list.
- Activate or deactivate a marketing list. Inactive marketing lists do not appear in the default view for marketing lists. After you deactivate a marketing list, you can activate it again if needed.