Create a Microsoft Office Word mail merge document
In Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook, only one mail merge can be run at a time. If you receive the message "Microsoft Dynamics CRM Mail Merge is already running" and want to discontinue a mail merge, close and then reopen Microsoft Office Word or Microsoft Internet Explorer. You can run multiple mail merge processes at the same time in the Web application.
To use mail merge, your e-mail format must be HTML.
- Open the list of records you want.
- In the list, select the record you want to add to the mail-merge recipient list.
- On the Add tab, in the Marketing group, click Mail Merge.
After mail merge starts, do not change the mail merge type and do not exit Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- If you have other languages installed, you can select a language to filter the list of templates.
In the Mail Merge dialog box, select the type of document you want to use.
- Select if you want to start with a blank document or a template. If you select a template option, click the Lookup button to select a template.
New mail merge templates are created in the Settings area. More information: Work with Mail Merge Templates
- If necessary, you can add or delete data fields.
- Click Download.
Microsoft Dynamics CRM automatically opens a Microsoft Office Word document. In the File Download dialog box, click Open.
This is not your mail-merge document. This is an interim page. Follow the directions in the Word document, including clicking CRM.
- In the Mail Merge Recipient dialog box, verify that the list is accurate, and then click OK.
- To continue the mail merge, follow the instructions provided by the Mail Merge pane. For more information, see the Microsoft Office Word Help documentation.
- To display the information you want and select the format, in the Mail Merge wizard, click Address Block and then Greeting Line.
- To add data fields to display more information, click More Items. You can use up to 64 data fields.
- If you are working in Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook and you have either created a new template or updated an existing template, you can upload the template.
- When you finish the mail merge document, close it, and then delete the interim mail-merge document (Mail_Merge_nnnn.xml) and the associated text file (Mail_Merge_nnnn.txt) with the same name.
- If you are working in Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook, after you print or send the document, you can choose to create activities for mail-merge items.
If an account or contact does not have a valid e-mail address or has the Do Not Allow option set for Bulk E-mail, the message is not sent to them, and no e-mail activity is created.