Create or edit a contract
You can edit an existing draft contract, but not invoiced or active contracts.
Although it is possible, creating a contract from an account is not recommended. The contract does not associate to the account correctly and allotments are not recorded.
- In the Navigation Pane, click Service, and then click Contracts.
- Use one of the following procedures:
- On the General tab, you must enter information in the following boxes:
- Contract Name
Select the customer covered by this contract. You can click the Lookup button to search for and select records.
- Contract Start Date
- Contract End Date
When you save the contract,Microsoft Dynamics CRM automatically assigns the Contract ID and calculates the Duration in Days based on the contract start and end dates. A contract address is required to change the status of the contract to invoiced.
In the Billing Information area, Microsoft Dynamics CRM autmoatically completes the fields when the corresponding Heading area fields are entered; however, you can change or enter the information as required. Bill To Address is required to change the status of the contract to invoiced.
In the Pricing area, the amounts are read-only, and are calculated based on the pricing and discounts entered in the contract lines. To change the pricing, update the contract lines. To recalculate the amounts, in the Actions group, click Recalculate.
- On the Details tab, enter additional information about the contract.
- Under Information, click Notes and Activities. In the Notes section, click Add a new note, and add the information that applies to your record.
- Click Save or Save and Close.
- The contract becomes active once it is invoiced and the start date is reached. For more information, see How contracts progress through the life cycle.
- You must define at least one contract line for the contract before you can change the status of the contract to invoiced. You can define several contract lines for each contract; for example, one for parts and another for maintenance. You cannot delete a contract line once it is active; instead, you can cancel it.
- The default days and hours of service are defined in the contract template. To change the days and hours of service, in the Actions group, click Set Calendar.
- You cannot edit an active contract, but you can cancel it or put it on hold. A canceled contract can be renewed and then edited. When a contract is on hold, no cases can be opened against the contract. For example, you might choose to put a contract on hold if there is an invoicing dispute, and then release the contract when the dispute is resolved. In the Actions group, click Hold Contract or Release Hold. To view a list of contracts on hold, in the View list, click Contracts On Hold.